Work Integrated Learning (Internship)
Work Integrated Learning (WIL) is the term given to a university program that integrates learning with its application in the workplace. Internship is one form of WIL and is a period of observing, learning, and practising in a business environment, where students are given the opportunity to integrate theory with the practice and responsibility of the workforce.
The Hotel School Sydney provides this experience through the Internship Program, a co-operative work-study venture between tourism and hospitality organisations and The Hotel School Sydney.
The primary objective of the Internship program is to provide our students with practical experience by exposing them to general systems of operation, as well as to the philosophies and aims of a particular organisation. Students undertaking an undergraduate degree are required to successfully complete an Internship; this may be undertaken within Australia or internationally.
How the program works:
- Internship is a unique combination of practical and academic learning.
- Students are prepared for employment through Professional Development for the Workplace, a core study unit written in consultation with industry recruitment professionals.
- Students may gain experience in any sector within a tourism or hospitality organisation. Suitable employers include hotels, resorts, restaurants, bars, catering services, clubs and casinos.
- Students may work in a casual, part-time or full time capacity to meet organisational needs.
- Students are required to satisfactorily complete 6 months and accrue a minimum of 600 hours industry experience.
- During Internship students are assessed through a variety of on-the-job and academic assignments which include industry reports and workplace research
- Exposed to current industry recruitment practices.
- Gain valuable life long skills through the 'real life' employment recruitment process.
- Gain an understanding of the nature and requirements of the tourism and hospitality business environment.
- Develop a greater awareness of employer expectations.
- The ability to gain valuable 'hands-on' skills and experience.
- Gain workplace competencies and experience before entering the competitive job market.
- Start to build a network of contacts within the industry.
Internship Team Support:
The dedicated, award winning Internship team offers a variety of professional support services to students including:
- An annual careers day with opportunities for interviews with employers.
- Email alerts to students promoting current Internship positions.
- Career planning, interview and application writing preparation for students through core study unit.
- Personal appointments to provide career guidance.
- An academic tutor; providing advice, academic supervision and mentoring of students whilst on Internship.
A sample of host organisations where students have undertaken their Internship
- InterContinental Sydney
- InterContinental Hotels Group
- Crowne Plaza
- Four Seasons
- Star City
- Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron
- Telstra Stadium
- The Westin Sydney
- North Sydney Harbourview
- Quay Grand
- Taj Hotels
- Holiday Inn
- Sanctuary Cove
- Four Points by Sheraton
Updated: 04 April 2013