International Students

Available to complete entirely online as a pathway into the Bachelor of Business in Hotel Management or Master of Business in Global Hotel Leadership.

Apply for a visa to Australia and transition to face to face study on any of our campuses in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane when travel restrictions are lifted. Use this time to upskill and be employment ready whilst you are in your own country. Make friends and industry contacts in Australia from home.

Online study includes group work with domestic students and meetings with your lecturers.

Kickstart your study online until travel restrictions are lifted.

Our online courses include full access to all support services, including:

  • Counselling
  • Academic support
  • Student Association at The Hotel School (SATHS)
  • Student activities, meetings, study groups and online parties

Why Study In Australia?

Australia enjoys a long academic tradition and offers world-class higher education to international students.

A truly unique country, Australia boasts world-class cosmopolitan culture with beautiful natural treasures and love of the outdoors. A democratic nation, Australians celebrate all cultures with a rich migrant population through throughout the United Kingdom, southern Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Studying hotel management and tourism in Australia provides unique insight into the wide variety of international and domestic visitors, giving you an edge in your career.


What makes Australia such a great place to study?

  • 8 of the Top 100 universities in the world are in Australia
  • Study hotel management and hospitality in a popular tourism destination
  • A vibrant multicultural society with students from all over the world
  • Share the high standard of living enjoyed in Australia
  • Students are protected through a heavily regulated higher education system

What’s the cost of living?

Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are cosmopolitan cities where living costs are slightly higher than other Australian cities.

What’s the climate like?

Climates vary across the country. Australians love an outdoor lifestyle, with Sydney, Melbourne and Brisabane both enjoying reasonably mild weather throughout the year.

Finding accommodation

There are several websites that advertise for a variety of suitable student accommodation to suit all people.

Applying for a course

Your application will be acknowledged by Southern Cross University or an SCU Education Agent upon receipt and you will typically be notified of the outcome directly within 10 days.

If you are successful, an International Offer Package will be emailed to you with details of what is required to accept your offer. If you are not successful, alternatives may be offered.

Applications may require:

  • Original or Certified copy of academic transcripts, with grading system
  • English language test results (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL)
  • Resume
  • Academic or employer references
  • Advanced Standing application


There are English language requirements for international students studying at The Hotel School regardless of whether they live in Australia or overseas. The Hotel School uses the IELTS system to measure English language proficiency, although other comparable English language scales will be accepted.

Please find the English language entry requirements here.


All applications for The Hotel School are selected on their individual merit. When reviewing your application, we look beyond your most recent academic performance and also consider your professional experience, command of the English language and willingness to study Business and Hotel Management as part of the application review process.

Following a successful application review process, you will be issued with an Offer of Admission which you must accept, sign and return to The Hotel School to confirm your position.

Are you looking for an education agent?

Southern Cross University has an extensive network of registered Education Agents in Australia and overseas who can assist with your application. Please note students from specific countries are required to go through an Education Agent.

Please contact us for a list of our agent network in your country.

Got a question?

A Course Advisor is standing by to answer your questions.

1800 870 816 Call from overseas [Monday to Friday 9am-5pm AEST]

Student Visas

To study in Australia you must have a valid Australian visa. Student visas are temporary visas that allow people to come to Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian institution. For more information visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


  • International students applying for a student Visa must undertake a full-time study load of eight units per year.
  • International students are required to remain in their principal course for at least 6 months before they can request a transfer to study at another education provider.
  • Make sure you are familiar with the conditions of your visa by reviewing the information set out on the Department of Home Affairs website.
  • You must have sufficient funds to cover all education and living expenses for the duration of your studies. Refer to the ‘student visa living costs and evidence of funds’ section on the Department of Home Affairs website.
  • You may be eligible to bring family members depending on your visa. School-aged children must be enrolled at school. School fees will vary depending on school, age of child and if you are a scholarship holder. 


Tuition Fees are listed in the Offer of Admission and are correct at the time of issue. They will be subject to an increase each calendar year and students are required to pay the new tuition fee each year. Tuition fees are due at the beginning of each study period, however, you can pay fees in advance. Annual fees for international students in 2024 are:

Diploma of Hotel Management $3,983 per unit
Associate Degree of International Hotel & Tourism Management $3,983 per unit
Bachelor of Business in Hotel Management $3,983 per unit
Master of Business in Global Hotel Leadership $3,502 per unit
Graduate Diploma of Business in Global Hotel Leadership $3,502 per unit
Graduate Certificate of Business in Global Hotel Leadership $3,502 per unit


Southern Cross University will refund or remit tuition fees and excess payments in accordance with the provisions of applicable legislation and the Refunds and Remissions Procedures.

Please refer to the SCU policy on Tuition Fees Refund for International Students.


Under Standard 9 of the ESOS National Code of Practice 2018, international students are able to defer commencement or temporarily suspend their enrolment where a written request is submitted, and a compassionate and compelling reason is presented with supporting documents, and approved by the Director of International Office. When deferring commencement is approved, a new offer or a new CoE might be issued subject to the entry requirement and fees applicable to the new commencement date; a new CoE may be issued to reflect the new program completion date. Students are referred to the Department of Immigration for advice on how potential change to their enrolment status may impact upon their visa.

Please refer to the SCU policy on Deferring, Suspending or Cancelling International Student Enrolments.

Tuition Protection Service

Occasionally, an education provider is unable to deliver its intended course to enrolled students. As such, the Australian Government provides the Tuition Protection Service (TPS) service to protect international students. TPS allows international students to complete their studies through another course or another provider, or ensures the refund of their unspent tuition fees.

For more information, visit the Tuition Protection Service website.

Study Abroad

Looking for a shorter study adventure? You can study and intern in Australia with The Hotel School and still gain credit with your home institution.

International students who are looking for a overseas experience without committing to a full degree can study abroad in Australia at The Hotel School. You need to have completed at least 1 full-time year of academic study in hospitality or tourism (or a related field) before being eligible to undertake the program.


  • Live, study and work in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane
  • Develop your English language skills
  • Build an international professional network
  • Intern with a leading hotel in the Asia/Pacific region
  • Make new friends
  • Travel in Australia


Student Support

The Hotel School values the health and wellbeing of all its students, and provides student support services to ensure this. We can help international students with services like:

  • Counselling
  • Academic support
  • Help with the application or acceptance process
  • Student visa and health insurance advice
  • Assistance with accommodation
  • Social activities and excursions during orientation week
  • International Student Welcome Desk

Visit the Student Support page for more information.

The Hotel School Sydney gave me the insights, skills and knowledge I needed to succeed in the industry. I started my almost 10-year tenure with the Four Seasons Hotel Group which took me from Sydney, Australia to Austin, Texas and finally to the new flagship property in Toronto, Canada, working in various roles starting as a line level employee and growing into senior management positions.
- Karen Koelewyn

Regulatory Information

Government legislation that protects international students studying in Australia.

The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, or ‘ESOS’, is government legislation that specifies requirements and standards for the provision of higher education and training to international students who are on a student visa in Australia. It provides tuition fee protection for international students and is designed to ensure any international student who studies in Australia can choose a provider knowing that they will receive the education that have paid for in line with Australia’s strong academic traditions.

For more information, visit the Department of Education and Training website.

All tertiary institutions in australia offering education to international students must be CRICOS accredited.


The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) is a government registry of all registered higher education and training courses suitable for international students to study in Australia. Many courses delivered by universities and higher education and training providers in Australia are CRICOS-approved and a unique CRICOS Course Code must be listed with course information by law for the benefit of international students.

For more information or to search for a course, visit the CRICOS website.

An essential fee to cover valuable services for students at The Hotel School.

Most higher education and training providers charge a fee for non-academic services and amenities. These can include career advice and career coaching, employment assistance, financial advice, and more.

For more information, visit the Southern Cross University website.

It’s essential for international students to have health cover while studying in Australia.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is designed to provide insurance to international students in Australia on a student visa throughout the duration of their stay. It also provides limited benefits for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services. It is compulsory for all international students and their dependents to have OSHC throughout their stay in Australia.

For more information, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.